Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Rememberance

Today at 7:00 a.m. our ward participated in the nation wide remembrance of 9/11 by ringing our church bell for one minute. This bell is the original bell from the 1st chapel in Kekaha. We had such a nice meeting. It was all about Family History. The talks all made us stop and think about how lucky we are for all the blessing we have. Bro. Magaoway told a story about writing our own history's. He worked in the History Library in Salt Lake and was talking to another missionary there who was from Japan. The missionary served in the US Air Force. After the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima he was sent into the city to see what needed to be done and what help could be given. He told of a Japanese General and his company all dressed in white carrying a samurai sword coming up to him and surrendering. Can you imagine that? The missionary told Bro. Magaoway he told the man he didn't want his sword and he and all his men could go home to their families. That he would have medicine, food, water and what ever else they needed brought to them right away. This story was never told to anyone or recorded anywhere. Bro. Magaoway was able to write it down and give it to the man so that he could have it to give his family and for generations to come. What an experience! The meeting was amazing. I really don't have anything like that in my life but I guess I had better start on my own history so my family will know a little bit more about me. Is anyone interested? Do you think I can talk Wally into doing it too?

No comments:

Post a Comment